Saturday, August 1, 2009

Thing #15

programmers write reusable, constantly updated software components that are embedded or loosely coupled with other Web applications.

This comment by Tom Storey in the
OCLC Vol. 2 (2006) newsletter speaks directly to the dilemma of the librarian today. The dynamic of 2.0 is self-evident. With very little effort, you can modify one of the most reliable database "wikipedia" in real time, insert your opinion into any blog conversation no matter where in the world it is being had, while texting your BFF on your phone and getting help from class mates clear across town on by e-mail . The skill is called multitasking, and it is the one skill I don't see in the TEKS.

I don't think that books are obsolete, or disappearing before our very eyes. I teach my students that there are checks and balances in place in the book publishing world[we call them editors and fact checkers] that allows a margin of reliability to this tangible object. But I do understand that it isn't the only option any more and when I recently visited the Central Library in downtown Houston, I was thrilled with their take on Libraries in the 21st century. More computers [being used to the max I might add] flat screen TV's movies and books on tape as well as my beloved books. I felt like I was in a Barns and Noble, not a library. It felt vibrant and essential.

In order to create an inclusive community I see tagging, sharing and personal cataloging as important services to offer. It creates a sense of ownership, like everyone who uses the library can design their own study carol and no one needs worry about there being enough space for everyone. for me now, the library is a communication hub if you will where everyone has access to the same vast database of knowledge .
Democratcy depends on this acces to knowledge, and Ben Franklin and Tomas Jefferson would be stunned but rather impressed I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment